Friday, February 8, 2008

Friday, February 8, 2008 - Happy Chinese New Year, Day 2!

Well, today is the second day of the Chinese New Year - Gung Hay Fat Choy - Happy New Year!

So, in case you don't know, it's the Year of the Rat. My husband is a Rat - sometimes a Ratfink, a Ratscal, and sometimes just plain old Ratatouille! He is one neat Rat, if I do say so myself!

So, here's a little Rat history in case you know one........... according to Eastern philosophy, Rats are revered for their quick wits and ability to accrue and hold on to items of value. Rats are considered a symbol of good luck and wealth in both China and Japan. Clever and quick-witted, the Rat is utterly disarming to boot. Possessed by excellent taste, old Ratty flaunts his style at ever turn. The Rat is naturally charming and sharp and his funny demeanor makes him an appealing friend to almost anyone. The Rat likes to know who is on his side and will treat its most loyal friends with an extra measure of protection and generosity. So, that concludes today's lesson in Chinese astrology.

So, today is Friday and of course a work day, but I got off early...... that is always nice. Since I had some time to kill before the evening festivities, I took advantage of the beautiful sun-shiny day and bought some fresh herbs and lettuce to plant in my garden. I think I just lucked out because the shipment had just arrived so I was able to grab everything I ever wanted: arugula, spinach, red lettuce, and flat leaf parsley.

Now in about a week, I should have enough greens for a great salad - nothing like growing your own food. I should have been a farmer or at least owned a few acres so I could grow all my own produce.

I would have loved, loved, love that!

No comments: