Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Tuesday, February 5 - Election Day

Well, today is the first day of my blogging adventure. I feel like I've grown up. It kind of reminds me of the first time I got a cell phone....... I've arrived. Kind of goofy, but that's me....... any who, today is Election Day, but it really doesn't matter, as I am an absentee voter, so I already submitted my ballot by mail a week or more ago......this year we have either a black man or a white woman as the democratic nominee so I wonder who it's going to be? I guess we'll just have to wait and see...........

So, on to more lively and interesting topics. I was invited to a potluck tonight. I'd been volunteering this past year through an organization called Wonder Inc., who matches caring adults with kids in foster care. The adults are called Guides and the kids are the Explorers. It's a great little program and I just completed my first year of mentoring. So my "coach", Vicki thought it would be fun to have all of her Guides over her house for dinner. At first I wasn't too excited about going but decided "why not?"......... so, when tonight finally came, I almost cancelled with the excuse of "oh, it's a weeknight, yada, yada," but instead I listened to that little voice in my head that told me, " you need to go. Remember every time you don't want to do something is when you really need too"........ so I paid attention and drove to her house.


Turned out (as it always does) that I met
a great woman who is the executive director of the National Girl Scouts of America nonprofit organization! She manages all these cool programs working with disadvantaged youth/teenage girls, etc and so we talked about the nonprofit that I am starting, We Foster Futures. She invited me to come see what they offer and the kinds of programs they have. We also talked about maybe collaborating at some point.

As you can imagine, I am very energized after talking with her and intend to follow up.
Anyway, this is another tribute to listening to your intuition and knowing that when you may not want to do something is the exact reason you should.

1 comment:

JP4A said...

Hi Sis, welcome to the world of the blogosphere. I look forward to your many post!

BoROCK the vote! We can’t afford a polarizing Hellary!

Cheers! ;)